Translate

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Perfectly Imperfect

I watched a video tonight that brought tears to my eyes. It was an excerpt from an abc what would you do.

It showed a man with downs syndrome that was bagging groceries and they had hired people to make idiots out of him and call him retarded. The show, showed people that agreed with what they were saying, that ignored it and that fought back for him.

Having a brother with cerebral palsy this hit me harder than it probably does alot of people. Unless you have a family member that has had horrible things said to or about them this word doesnt mean anything but "your stupid" mostly used in a joking manner.

I have unfortunately heard the word retard far more than I would like.  I was 8 years old when I came inside with a busted lip for getting in a fight with someone for calling my baby brother retarded. 

And you know what?  He's the kindest, most compassionate, loving, accepting and intelligent individual I know. 

I have said many times in my life that my  little brother is my smile. Because the fact is, he has heard things said to him and about him more than an average person. Yet he still sees the good in everyone. He has had people treat him poorly and not make an honest effort to understand what he has to say and still chooses to find joy when they are around.

"uh huh? Oh yeah! Really?" I have heard this group of words so many times as I've watched people with my brother that havent for two seconds even tried to understand what hes saying. Its infuriating,  and dont think I haven't confronted a few about it. Even in my rebellious teenage years you didnt mess with my baby brother and I had more umph to say screw you to people. :)

And like I said hes intelligent.  Just because my brothers muscles dont work the way a "normal" persons do doesnt mean his brain doesn't.

But even tho my brother is so amazing,  he still feels the pain of cruel words said towards him.

There are slang terms for everyone in this world. For African Americans, Caucasians, Native Americans, Middle Eastern, homosexuals, disabled... the list goes on right?

Everyone has at least one on that list that they fight for, to not have degraded or put down. That you stand up for and say that that slang term is wrong.

Anyone that knows me knows that I highly hate the terms used for these. And yes retarded hits a little closer to home for me but please think of a time you were called something that truly hurt you and remember that most likely when your disabled you have been called it far more than the average person because unfortunately its seemingly not accepted by any culture.

And exactly like anyone in this world that have cruel negative things said to or about them... they are just the same...

Perfectly imperfect....

No comments:

Post a Comment