Translate

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

When I grow up I want to be...

Growing up my parents told me I could be anything and anyone I ever wanted to be. Of course I was like any other kid, I wanted to be a firefighter, marine biologist, detective, a famous singer, an author and one that never wavered, a mother. 

As children we have these big dreams and as parents we want more than anything for our children to reach their dreams and so much more.

When I was 15 anytime someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up all I would ever say is a wife and mother.  Let's not talk about the looks I got. And often much of this...

"I meant what job do you want to have"

I realized long before that,  that I would need a job to get from point a to b, before I find my Prince charming and bring beautiful babies into the world. (Yes I have BEAUTIFUL babies) but I wasn't asked that. I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up!

I have a reason behind this tidbit of my past.

I think that quite often as our children grow up we start thinking less about their dreams and more about their plan. 

Am I saying don't plan with your kids?  No. Of course not.  We are their parents to HELP them become successful. But more so to love them unconditionally.

My son told me today at 3 years of age he wants to be Superman.  Now hes meaning a guy that flies around in a cape and saves damsels in distress. Im aware of this. But first, I choose to let him be little.  Let him believe in super powers as long as possible.  Why not? It's his dream. 

Now he will probably outgrow superman. But if not? What can my son do in his adult years to be Superman?? 

-President of the United States
-Doctor and save lives
-Medical researcher and discover cures for diseases like AIDS, Cancer, ALS and Alzheimers.
-Firefighter save lives
-Police officer and bring justice

My baby CAN be Superman.

But want to know what else my baby could be and still be Superman?

-Factory worker
-Steel worker
-Grocery stocker
-Teacher
-Musician

No matter what road our kids choose, as long as we have raised them right and they are good people and have followed their heart and end up where THEY want to be then no matter the occupation,  my babies will grow to be...

SUPER men!

No comments:

Post a Comment